Monday, July 19, 2010

Apple Rabdi and A First For Me!



Guess What?? I have joined my first food blogging event! Yay! I am so excited to be a part of this monthly event wherein two bloggers are randomly paired with each other. All you have to do is prepare a dish from your partner’s blog and blog about it. As simple as that. Though I want to join a few more such events, I wanted to start with something simple and Taste and Create was the perfect one. My first partner is Padmajha from Seduce your Tastebuds and her blog is a beautiful collection of wonderful vegetarian recipes from South India and other parts of the world. If I am not mistaken she is also from Karnataka, so the next time I need any vegetarian recipes I know where to head.

Now, let’s talk about this dish! Rabdi is a delicious, sweet concoction made by slowly boiling milk for a long time to reduce it and form the rabdi. Sugar and essence are added to it and it is served cold. When I saw this rabdi with apple in it on her blog I knew I had found my dish. You do know that I love apples right?? One thing I did differently though was to cook this on the stove top rather than in the microwave as I don’t trust my microwave. Nevertheless I got awesome results and this was gone in 5 minutes flat!

Recipe Source – Seduce Your Tastebuds (For the microwave recipe check her blog)

Ingredients - Serves 4
3 Cups Whole Milk
4 Tbsp Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Large Apple (Peeled, Cored and Grated)
A Few Strands of Saffron (Dissolved in 1 Tbsp Warm Milk)
1/4 Cup Sliced Pistachios and Almonds

Place the milk in a non stick sauce pan and simmer on low heat. Make sure that the milk does not come to a boil. When a thin skin is formed on top gently move it to the sides with a spoon. Keep repeating this process. The skin will form small lumps and this is the actual rabdi. Stir in between to ensure that the milk is not sticking to the bottom. Heat the milk till it is reduced to 3/4th of its original quantity. Add in the other ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove to a bowl and let it cool. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Serve chilled.

Happy Eating!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for those sweet words Sana.Am really glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came here from PJ's blog. You got a great collection dear, am following it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @PJ - Yup, it was great!

    @ Priya - Thank you so much Priya!

    @ Mel - Thanks love..lemme know how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!