Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Pistachio Rabri Delight



I have a confession to make. I do not like mushy food. There. I said it. You know when you want to eat something good and you take a bite but it turns all mushy in your mouth. Ugh! Oatmeal is the biggest culprit here. Unless it is filled with nuts or mix ins I just cannot eat plain oatmeal. Same goes for desserts like Umm Ali or soggy bread pudding. So, when I wanted to make Shahi Tukda I knew that the bread had to remain crisp for me to like it. This is what I came up with: a layered version which doesn't soak the bread in sugar syrup so they remain nice and crisp. I added some condensed milk to the rabri to give it that extra sweet punch and really loved  the outcome. I would say it is heavily inspired by Shahi Tukda but it is not quite the same thing and that is why I have renamed it. 

Recipe - Serves 18-20

Ingredients
For Rabri
1 Litre Milk (Full Fat)
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Pinch Saffron

For Bread Base
10 Slices White Bread or Milk Bread
1/2 Cup Ghee

For Garnish
Sliced Pistachio
1/2 Cup Powdered Pistachio

Method
Make the Rabri
1. Place the milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to simmer and keep cooking the milk till it is reduced to half the quantity. Keep stirring the milk in intervals. A skin will keep forming on the top, keep moving the skin back into the milk. 
2. Once the milk is reduced, add the sugar and condensed milk. Mix well and adjust sweetness according to personal preference. Add the saffron. Turn off the heat and cool completely.

Prepare Bread Slices
1. Cut off the sides of the bread slices and cut each slice in half. 
2. Brush each slice with ghee (like spreading butter on bread). Apply ghee on both sides of the slice.
3. Heat a large frying pan and toast the bread slices on a low flame. Make sure they turn crisp but do not burn. Toast all the slices and keep aside.

Assemble the Pudding
1. Take a 9x13 baking dish or pyrex. Pour 1/3 of the prepared Rabri on the bottom. Place 10 pieces of the bread in a single layer on the rabri. Pour 1/3 of the rabri on the slices. Repeat the layers with bread and the remaining rabri. 
2. Garnish with the pistachio powder and slices.
3. Place in fridge for minimum of 4 hours. Serve chilled.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!