Sunday, May 2, 2010

Self Frosting Nutella Cupcakes With A Different Ending



While browsing through some food blogs I came across the name nutella cupcakes and as my curiosity got the better of me searched for the recipe which I got here. As a kid I was a big fan of nutella and would happily chomp down sandwiches made of white bread slapped with a thick layer of this hazelnut delight. When I came to Dubai this was one of the first things I bought but soon realized that it didn't hold the same love for me anymore. Thus, my bottle of nutella was sitting in the fridge waiting for someone to open it and give it the love it deserves. That's where this recipe came in the picture and I had good use for it. The batter is plain ol' vanilla, but very rich. I made mini cupcakes and got a total of 24. Unfortunately for me, my cupcakes got a little over done and the nutella hardened on top. In the end I hacked off the tops with a knife and frosted them (not pictured) with the  Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting that I had leftover from a previous recipe (BTW this frosting refrigerates very well). The cake part was definitely good and if I make these again I will fill the liners half way with the batter, plop a teaspoon of nutella and top again with the batter. The swirling was very difficult as the batter is thick and my nutella was also a bit hard. Overall, I got great reviews for these albeit with the chocolate frosting.

Recipe Source - Baking Bites

Ingredients - Makes 12 Cupcakes
10 Tbsp (140 Gms) Butter, Softened
3/4 Cup White Sugar
3 Eggs
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1 3/4 Cups Sifted All Purpose Flour
1/4 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Baking Powder
Nutella, approx. 1/3 cup

Preheat oven to 165 C (325F). Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
Cream together butter and sugar until light, 2 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Don’t worry if the batter doesn’t look smooth. Add vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder until batter is uniform and no flour remains.
Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin liner with batter. They should be 3/4 full, if you’re not using a scoop. Top each cake with 1 1/2 tsp Nutella. Swirl Nutella in with a toothpick, making sure to fold a bit of batter up over the nutella.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!