Though he recommends baking the pudding with the sauce at the bottom I always bake it without the sauce as on most occasions I have to travel with it and cannot serve it straight from the oven. My preferred method is to bake the cake, poke some holes all over it and then pour the sauce. A quick reheat just before serving ensures a moist and decadent treat.
Recipe Source - David Lebovitz with very few changes.
For the Pudding
180 Grams Pitted Dates (Roughly Chopped)
1 Cup Water
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 1/4 Cups (175 Grams) All Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
4 Tbsp (55 Grams) Unsalted Butter
3/4 Cup (150 Grams) Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs (Room temperature)
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
For The Sauce
1 1/2 Cups (375 ml) Heavy cream
6 Tbsp (67.5 Grams) Demerara Or Muscovado Sugar
28 ml Golden Syrup (Approx two tablespoons)
A Pinch of Salt
Make the Pudding
1. Grease a 8x8 Cake pan. Pre-heat the oven to 190 Degree C (350 Degree F).
2. Place the dates and water in a small saucepan and bring to boil. As soon as the water starts boiling turn off the flame and stir in the baking soda. Keep aside to cool.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla.
5. Mix in half the flour, then the date mixture and then the remaining flour. Stir gently and do not overbeat.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Make the Sauce
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan on a medium flame. Stir till the sugar is melted.
2. Lower the heat to a simmer and stir every 5 minutes till the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
To Serve the Cake
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190 Degree C (350 Degree F).
2. Poke holes all over with a skewer and pour 1 Cup of the prepared sauce all over. Scatter the chopped walnuts all over. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
3. Serve hot drizzled with extra sauce and Vanilla ice cream.