I love snickers in any form (ice cream, cake, cheesecake or cupcakes) and this combination of peanuts, nougat and chocolate is simply perfect. Although I made the cake exactly like the recipe from Brown Eyed Baker I have given my own changes below which I will incorporate when I will make it again. Because all the four components of the cake are on a sweet note the overall taste tended to be a little too sweet for many of the tasters though some were going gaga over the cake like little children with candy.
This cake requires some time and effort but everything is very easy to make and comes together quickly once all the components are ready. The nougat filling tastes exactly like the inside of a snickers. I was planning to make the fluff from scratch but luckily I got the fluff jar in Lulu Barsha and the filling was super easy to make.
Recipe Source: Cake and Nougat Recipe Given as is from Brown Eyed Baker with my changes in red.
Ingredients - Makes one 8 inch square or round 3 Layer cake
For the Cake2½ Cups + 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
3 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 Cup + 1 Tbsp Dutch Process Cocoa Powder (I used regular cocoa powder)
1 Tbsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
3 Eggs (Large, at room temperature)
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk (at room temperature) (I used milk and vinegar substitute)
1 1/2 Cups Strong Black Coffee (hot)
3/4 Cups Vegetable Oil
4 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract (I used vanilla essence)
For the Nougat Filling4 Tbsp (57 Grams) Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup Evaporated Milk
1 1/2 Cups Marshmallow Fluff
1/4 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cups Salted Peanuts (Roughly chopped)
For the Frosting (what I plan to use when I make the cake again)453 Grams (16oz) Full Fat Cream Cheese, Softened But Still Cool
1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Cup Cold Heavy Cream
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
For the Dark Chocolate Ganache226 Grams (8 ounces) Dark Chocolate (70%) , finely chopped
1/2 Cup (4 ounces) Heavy Cream
For the Assembly & Garnish1 Cup Salted caramel sauce
Make the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 8-inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with rounds of parchment paper, grease the parchment, then flour the insides of the pans, tapping out excess; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer (or large mixing bowl if you're using a hand mixer), sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix for an additional 20 seconds (the batter will be very thin).
4. Divide the batter evenly among prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes and rotate the pans in the oven. Continue to bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out almost clean (with a few moist crumbs), about 12 more minutes. Cool the cakes (in the pans) on wire racks for 20 minutes, then carefully turn them out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
Make the Nougat Filling
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar and evaporated milk, stirring until dissolved, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove the pan from heat and add the marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, and vanilla extract, stirring until completely smooth. Fold in the peanuts. Let the nougat mixture cool to room temperature before using it in the cake. You can do this leaving it at room temperature or you can pop it into the refrigerator to speed up the process. Be sure to give a stir occasionally as it cools.
Make The Frosting
1. Sift the powdered sugar and add the cream cheese to the bowl of your mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat them thoroughly until fluffy and completely smooth/lump free.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream to nearly stiff peaks, then add the whipped cream into the cheese mixture, scrape down the sides of your bowl and quickly and briefly beat to combine. Do not over beat.
Assemble The Cake
1. Place one layer on a cake board, and place it on a turntable. If the tops of the cakes are domed, level them.
2. Spread 1/2 of the nougat filling on the cake and top with 1/2 Cup salted caramel.
3. Repeat with second layer of cake, remaining nougat and caramel. Place the third square on top.
4. Cover the cake with the frosting and chill in the fridge till the ganache is prepared.
Make The Chocolate Ganache
Place the chocolate in a medium bowl; set aside. Place the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and warm until it just comes to a boil. Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes. Begin whisking the mixture in the center, gradually working your way outward until the ganache is completely smooth. Set aside to cool, whisking occasionally, until it has thickened to spreadable consistency.
Garnish The Cake
1. Cover the cake with the ganache, drizzle some additional salted caramel sauce over the top and side of the cake, and top with chopped peanuts. Keep the cake refrigerated, removing it from the refrigerator about 20 minutes prior to serving.