Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sour Cream Coffee Cake


I cannot call this cake by it's real name because there is no sour cream in it. Well, the original cake does have it but I was out of sour cream (not that I ever have it in my fridge) and I didn't want to buy a tub for this. Instead  I used plain old yogurt and still got excellent results if I may say so myself. I made this cake to take to work and it was gone in 10 minutes flat! It is a very easy cake to make and definitely a crowd pleaser. I made mine in a 9X13 Inch dish as I didn't have a tube pan and this baked in 45 minutes. Many reviewers had recommended doubling the streusel recipe and that's what I did. I have used the same streusel recipe before in my banana cake and always love it. This is one of my favorite cakes and I will be making this again and again!

Recipe Source - Barefoot Contessa Via Brown Eyed Baker

Ingredients - My changes in red

12 Tablespoons (11/2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter At Room Temperature
11/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
3 Extra-Large Eggs At Room Temperature - I used 4 large Eggs
11/2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
1¼ Cups Sour Cream - I used equal amount full cream yogurt
21/2 Cups Cake Flour (Not Self-Rising)
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
For The Streusel: I doubled the quantities below
1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
11/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Cold Unsalted Butter, Cut Into Pieces
3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts, Optional

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. I used a 9X13 inch pan
2. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs 1 at a time, and then add the vanilla and sour cream.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
4. For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts, if desired.
5. Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
6. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate.
Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!