Cheesecake is one of my favourite desserts but sometimes you just want to eat it and not wait one full day for the cheesecake to bake and cool. These cheesecake bars are super easy to make and needs only an hours chilling in the fridge. I served them with a simple strawberry sauce made by macerating strawberries in sugar and mashing with a fork. They can be served plain or along with a variety of toppings and sauces like blueberry sauce, chocolate sauce, crushed Oreos, caramel etc.
The original recipe calls for a 9X13 pan but I made them in a slightly smaller pan to get thicker slices.
Recipe Source - Given as is from Joy of Baking
For the Crust2 Cups Crushed Digestive Biscuits
113 Grams Unsalted Butter, Melted
For the Filling
454 Grams Cream Cheese (At room temperature)
1/2 Cup Granulated White Sugar
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Lemon zest
2 Large Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Have ready a 9 x 13 x 2 inch (23 x 33 x 5 cm) baking pan that has been lined with aluminium foil across the bottom and up two opposite sides of the pan. Lightly butter or spray the foil with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, as needed.
- Pour the cheesecake filling over the graham cracker base and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes or until the cheesecake batter is just set.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours to make the squares easier to cut. To cut into squares - place on a cutting board, remove the foil, and with a sharp knife, cut into 2 inch squares. Have a damp cloth on hand to wipe the knife between cuts. Garnish with fresh berries, if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.