Friday, July 15, 2011

Caramel Banana Cake


I watched the final Harry Potter movie yesterday (The movie was playing from Tuesday in the UAE) and it's like the end of an era. I am a big fan of the books and have read each book at least 10 times (No, I am not kidding). I just love the way the books are written and every time you read it you feel like you are reading something new. Whenever I was bored at home I used to pick a book read it in one sitting. When any of the movies came out I would always come back from the theatre and read that part just to compare the book with the script. No matter how good the movie is, it can never compare to the actual story in the book. I feel people who have not read the book and have only watched the movie are missing out on so many details .

Sadly yesterday I didn't come home and open the last part to read as all my books are back home in India. But what I came home to was the amazing smell of freshly baked banana cake. I had some ripe bananas (as usual) in the fruit basket and needed to make a cake.  I would have gone with my favorite recipe but I didn't have enough butter in the house and searched for a new recipe. I had seen this on I am Baker and decided to give it a go. This is a very moist cake full of flavor.  However, I will still make the other recipe next time (the streusal topping makes me go weak in the knees!)

I did not make the caramel sauce and used the nestle caramel topping instead. I started making the cake at 7 and didn't realize that it needs one full hour to bake. After it went into the oven at 7:45 pm I had to leave for the movie at 8:15. I panicked and didn't know what to do as I could not leave my gas oven on and also did not have any timer.  Hubby said "you either sacrifice the cake or the movie". I almost cried but then saw my microwave. Ting!!  Removed the cake from the gas oven and put it in the microwave on convection at 155 Celsius for 40 minutes and left the house with a big prayer. Tada!! I came home to a perfectly baked cake.

Recipe Source - The Kitchn via I am Baker

Ingredients (Makes 1 nine inch round cake, this is half of the original recipe)

6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup (6 Tbsp) White Sugar
1/2 Cup (6 Tbsp) Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups All purpose Flour
3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt
3/4 Cup Milk 
3/4 Cup Mashed Bananas
1/2 Cup Roughly Chopped Walnuts
3/4 Cup Caramel Sauce (I used Nestle Caramel Topping)
 
1. Preheat oven to 165 degree C (325 degree F). Grease one 9 inch round pan.
2. Place the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk together. Keep aside.
3. Mix the milk with the mashed bananas in a separate bowl.
4. Beat the butter and sugars in a bowl until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
5. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk mixture in three parts, mixing until just combined.
6. Add the walnuts and mix.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Pour the caramel sauce in the middle and swirl around with a knife.
8. Place in oven and bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
 
Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!