If you are the type of person who loves a good chunky carrot cake with lots of icing, then you have come to the right place. This carrot cake is full of flavour with the most dreamy icing ever. After assembling the cake you need to chill it in the fridge for sometime and then you get this amazing cake.
The recipe on Brown Eyed Baker calls for 3 round pans but next time I would prefer going with two pans as the layers are quite thin and difficult to handle. I have made this previously in a 9X13 inch pan and it was equally good with a think layer of frosting on top.
Recipe Source - Brown Eyed Baker
For The Cake
2 cups All-purpose flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Cloves
1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
3/4 Tsp Salt
3 Cups Grated Carrots (Approx. 4 Carrots)
1 Cup Coarsely Chopped Walnuts (Toasted)
1 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Sunflower Oil (Or any neutral tasting oil)
For the Frosting
226 Gms (8 ounces) Cream Cheese (At room temperature)
113 Gms (4 Ounces) Unsalted Butter (At room temperature)
300 Gms Powdered Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
Bake The Cake
1. Preheat oven to 325 degree F (162 degree Celsius). Grease two 9 inch baking pans and line with baking paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg and salt. Whisk to combine well.
3. In another bowl mix together the grated carrots, coconut and walnuts.
4. Beat the sugar and oil till smooth. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Fold in the carrot mixture.
7. Divide the batter equally among the two pans and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool cakes in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and remove the baking paper. Cool on a wire rack with right side up till cake comes to room temperature. (Cooled cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen or kept in fridge if not using immediately).
Make the Frosting
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter till smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat till frosting is fluffy and smooth. Add in the vanilla and beat till combined.
Assemble The Cake
1. Place one cake layer on a cake board and spread half the frosting on top.
2. Place the second layer and frost completely with remaining icing.
3. Cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving.