Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich


If you are on a diet then stop reading right now! Yes, please stop reading. What? The picture is asking you to read all about it? Ok then. But don’t tell me that I didn’t warn you. Coz after you read this you are going to want to make this sandwich. This is adapted from Pioneer Woman’s favorite sandwich and is now my favorite sandwich (only if it wasn’t laden with so many calories!). I added a few more veggies (does potato count as healthy?) to make it more filling but I guess it doesn’t need any of those things. This is so good on its own. This is exactly the kind of thing I would serve in my sandwich bar (did I tell you that I have secret dream of opening a sandwich bar? No? Well next time then). The original recipe called for Dijon and I had only regular mustard so I went with that. I also used mozzarella instead of provolone coz I don’t buy any fancy cheese and who has time to go to the store? So, let’s make a mean grilled sandwich folks!

Recipe Source – Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients (Makes 1 Sandwich)

1 Tsp Mustard
1 Tsp Mayonnaise
1 Whole Tomato (Small)
1 Whole Onion (Small)
1/4 Cup Boiled Potato (Diced)
2 Tbsp Grated Carrot
1 Slice Cheddar Cheese or 2 Tbsp Grated Cheddar
2 Tbsp Canned Jalapeno Peppers or 2 Whole Green Chilies (Canned)
2 Tbsp Grated Mozzarella
2 Slices Bread
2 Tbsp Butter

Mix the mayonnaise and mustard and apply a thin layer onto the inside of both slices of bread. Place one slice on a flat surface and start with the fillings.
Slice the tomato and place two slices on the bread. Place the cheddar cheese on top of the tomato. Slice the onion thinly and place two slices on top of the cheddar. Spread the potato evenly over the onions and then add the carrots. Sprinkle the grated mozzarella evenly over the carrots and in the end add the jalapeno peppers or the green chilies. Lay the other slice of bread on top of all the deliciousness and prepare yourself for the next step.
Spread a good amount of butter on top of the bread (the outsides not the insides!!). Cover the bread completely, flip the sandwich over and butter the other side as well.
Meanwhile, heat a pan (non-stick is preferable here) over LOW heat. Place the sandwich in the pan and cook it for at least 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Flip and continue cooking for another couple of minutes, until golden brown. You can also use your sandwich maker if you have one. Remove to a cutting board and slice in half. Eat and feel guilty for the rest of the day. Or make yourself another one. I won’t tell.

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!