Sunday, March 28, 2010

Oreo Cheesecake With Ganache Topping



Hurrah!! My first attempt at a cheesecake was a great success!! I made an Oreo Cheesecake from BrownEyedBaker and it came out amazing and couldn't have been easier to make. We had a dinner party last night and this dessert was definitely the star of the evening.
I added a chocolate ganache topping to it as I wanted to have a more chocolaty taste and I am glad I did as the chocolate gave the whole thing a great flavor. Now that my fear of baking a cheesecake is over I am all up for trying out new flavors and combinations.


The recipe said to remove the cheesecake when the center is still jiggly and I was not sure if it was done or not so I returned it to the oven. This caused it to overcook a little bit more and the top cracked, so next time I know exactly when to remove it. Another change I would make is to thicken the crust as I felt it was a bit on the thin side.

Recipe - Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

Ingredients

1 Cup Crushed OREO Cookies (About 12 Cookies)
3 Packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese (300 Gms Each)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
4 Eggs
20 OREO Cookies (Quartered)
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate (Chopped) or Chocolate Chips

1. PREHEAT oven to 150 degrees C (300 degrees F). Grease a 9 inch springform pan lightly with butter. Press the crushed cookies onto bottom and smooth out evenly with the bottom of a measuring cup. Bake for 10 minutes.
2. BEAT cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Gently stir in quartered cookies. Pour over crust.
3. BAKE 1 hour or until center is almost set. Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. .
4. Make the ganache after the cheesecake has cooled in the fridge and before serving. Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl. Bring the heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat. Immediately pour the simmering cream over the chopped chocolate. Let sit for 1-2 minutes and then stir with a whisk or rubber spatula until smooth. Pour the ganache on the top of the cooled cheesecake and, using an offset spatula, spread evenly over the top of the cheesecake. Return to the refrigerator to set the ganache, about 20 minutes.

Happy Eating!!

1 comment:

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!