Thursday, March 11, 2010

Date and Nut Halwa



I have a sweet tooth and am often rummaging around my kitchen to look for a treat to satisfy my sudden cravings. Not always do I have a baked good ready and sitting on the counter and sometime you just don’t want to go through all the trouble of baking. The same thing happened recently and when I opened my fridge for inspiration to make something quick, I found a box of dates lying in there for quite sometime. I don’t like eating plain dates so I chopped them up, softened it with a dash of milk and stirred in some nuts and biscuit powder. A little bit of cooling in the fridge and my halwa was ready. Sweet, nutty and a great treat for a date lover.

Recipe

Ingredients

400 Gms Dates (Pitted And Chopped)
1 Cup Biscuit Powder (E.g. Marie, Glucose etc)
1/4 Cup Assorted Chopped Nuts (Almonds, Pistachios and Walnuts)
1/4 Cup Milk

In a saucepan, pour the milk and add the dates and heat on medium flame. With the back of a spoon press the dates to soften them up and mix with the milk. Once all the dates are mashed, add the biscuit powder and nuts and mix well to combine. Keep a big foil piece on the counter and remove the date mixture on one side. Start folding the foil from the end where the date mix is and roll it up to form a long roll. Press the sides gently to get a cylindrical shape and refrigerate. Remove from the fridge once it is cooled, slice into pieces and serve. (You can also assemble in a lightly greased plate and cut into squares).

Happy Eating!!

2 comments:

  1. when do u mix 1/4 Cup Assorted Chopped Nuts (Almonds, Pistachios and Walnuts)looks like its missed out !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sinthya

      Sorry for the error! The nuts go in right along with the biscuit powder. I will update the recipe shortly. Thanks!

      Delete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!