Monday, March 1, 2010

Home Made Cinnamon Rolls or Bon Bons!!



The first time I ever read about the wonders of a Cinnabon was on a blog. The description of those amazing rolls had my interest piqued to the max. However I had not yet come across the temptations of this wondrous things and left things to that. After we moved into our new apartment, we went to the food court that resides in the mall near our house. Lo and behold, as I entered the food court, a faint smell of cinnamon greeted my nostrils. On walking further, this smell beckoned me towards it and then I saw it! Cinnabon! I knew I had to try one and after one bite I was hooked. I would always buy it for myself as an occasional treat but the heavy price tag didn’t really justify it. I did search for the recipe and came across many recipes including the Pioneer Woman’s gooey rolls (see it to believe it) but was intimidated by the whole process.

However, after I tackled the yeast beast, I knew I had to give these a try. I once again started searching and came across this recipe at Confections of a Foodie Bride. The recipe is Alton Browns recipe from the Food Network. These are soft, yummy rolls filled with cinnamon goodness (it makes sense to increase the filling). My only gripe with these is that they taste the best when eaten fresh out of the oven. I don’t think they are meant to be kept for any longer. Next time I will halve the recipe as 6 rolls is more than enough for the two of us and this makes 12. Or maybe I will try the Pioneer Woman's recipe!


When I showed Latif this pan before putting them in the oven, he jumped from the bed and said “Bon – Bon, you are making Bon – Bons!!! “ Wahahahah, I went to the kitchen and laughed my head off!


Dough:
4 Large Egg Yolks (Room Temp)
1 Large Whole Egg (Room Temp)
1/4 Cup Sugar
6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Melted
3/4 cup Buttermilk, Room Temp*
20 oz All-Purpose Flour (Approximately 4 Cups), Plus Additional For Dusting
1 Packet Instant Dry Yeast (2 1/4 Tsp If Using From Bulk)
1 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
Vegetable Oil Or Cooking Spray

* - I just used my milk and lime juice substitute.

Filling: (Quantities have been increased by 25% than the original recipe)
1 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 1/4 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
Pinch Salt
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, Melted

Icing:
2-3 Tbsp Milk
1 Cup Powdered Sugar

For the dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk. Add approximately 2 cups of the flour along with the yeast and salt; whisk until moistened and combined. Remove the whisk attachment and replace with a dough hook. Add all but 3/4 cup of the remaining flour and knead on low speed for 5 minutes. Check the consistency of the dough, add more flour if necessary (I had to add ¼ cup more); the dough should feel soft and moist but not sticky. Knead on low speed 5 minutes more or until the dough clears the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead by hand about 30 seconds.

Note - If you do not have a stand mixer you can knead the dough by hand also, just whisk the eggs, sugar, butter and buttermilk with a whisk or fork in a big bowl and then add the flour.

Lightly oil a large bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl, lightly oil the top of the dough, cover and let double in volume, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

For the filling: Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Mix until well incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.

To assemble: Butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently shape the dough into a rectangle with the long side nearest you. Roll into an 18 by 12-inch rectangle. Brush the dough with the 3/4-ounce of melted butter, leaving 1/2-inch border along the top edge. Sprinkle the filling mixture over the dough, leaving a 3/4-inch border along the top edge; gently press the filling into the dough. Beginning with the long edge nearest you, roll the dough into a tight cylinder. Firmly pinch the seam to seal and roll the cylinder seam side down. Very gently squeeze the cylinder to create even thickness. Using a serrated knife, slice the cylinder into 1 1/2-inch rolls; yielding 12 rolls. Arrange rolls cut side down in the baking dish; cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or up to 16 hours.

Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and place in an oven that is turned off. Fill a shallow pan 2/3 full of boiling water and set on the rack below the rolls. Close the oven door and let the rolls rise until they look slightly puffy, approximately 30 minutes. Remove the rolls and the shallow pan of water from the oven.

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).

When the oven is ready, place the rolls on the middle rack and bake until golden brown, or until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, approximately 25-30 minutes. (I guess mine were a little over baked)

While the rolls are cooling slightly, make the icing by whisking the milk and powdered sugar until smooth. Spread over the rolls and serve immediately.

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!