Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake


I just wanted to share this fun design I made. It is actually supposed to be a train engine with little bogies trailing behind but to me it looked more like a truck so that's what I am calling it :) Anyways, I baked the Hershey's cake for my nephews birthday (coming soon) and I had some leftover cake to use. I was really jobless so I just cut it up and decorated it with whatever I could find in my kitchen. that is why it is not covered properly in frosting. I just had some chocolate ganache with me which I used for the top. With the right frosting and candies this can be made to look much better.

Say Hello To My Driver!!
Talking about the taste of the cake. When I ate it plain I liked it but did not love it. It was missing that chocolate taste which I love in my desserts. Perhaps it is meant to be had with the frosting and not on its own. With the ganache it tasted really good as did the cupcake pops which were also made from this cake. The best thing about this recipe is that you need only one bowl and a whisk to make it. Everything goes directly in the bowl and you just have to mix it till you get a smooth batter. Did someone say easy clean up?


Ingredients - 10 to 12 servings.

2 Cups Sugar
1-3/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
3/4 Cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 Tsp Baking Powder 
1-1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt
2 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Boiling Water
1 Batch of "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (Recipe Follows)

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.
BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.
CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 Cup (1 Stick) Butter or Margarine
2/3 Cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
1/3 Cup Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

Happy Eating!! 

1 comment:

  1. OMG !! i never saw such a beautiful chocolate car ...i wish i could go on a drive ..driver is very handsome ..hehehe

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!