Hello everybody, meet my new favorite cupcake! You already know about my love for apples, so it should not be a surprise that when I saw these on Annie's Eats it was love at first sight. Last weekend I finally got a chance to make them and boy oh boy, what a cupcake! The vanilla cake is so good on its own I think I have my new go to recipe for vanilla cake. Combine that with the apple filling and I was in heaven. My only gripe about this was the buttercream. I really don't like buttercream and never make it for any cake. I always use my favorite whipped cream frosting but somehow I decided to give it a try this time. Big mistake as I should have known better. Apple pie is served with whipped cream right? Duh!! Anyways, everyone else didn't seem to mind the cream and were happy with it. But next time I am piling on the whipped cream baby!
Recipe Source - Given as is from Annie's Eats adapted from Fatty Fats Fat
For The Cupcakes
3 Cups Sifted Cake Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Cup (2 Sticks/200 Gms) Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Milk
For The Apple Filling
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tsp Cinnamon
2-3 Tbsp Sugar
3 Large Apples (peeled, cored and diced)
Make the cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
5. Add the vanilla extract and mix well to combine.
6. Add in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners, filling them about 2/3-3/4 full. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 to 22 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pans. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Make the apple filling
Heat the butter a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cinnamon and sugar and cook for a minute, until the mixture begins to bubble. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the apples. Mix well.
Cook until the apples are somewhat tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
While the apple mixture is cooling, use the cone method to remove a chunk from the center of each cupcake, making sure to leave a rim around the top of the cupcake. Fill the holes with the cooled apple mixture. To decorate, top each cupcake with a swirl of whipped cream.