Sunday, August 26, 2012

Peach and Cherry Crumb Bars



I ate my very first crumb bar from a famous coffee house and needless to say I was extremely disappointed. The filling was hardly there, the biscuit was nothing to write home about.


 Then I started seeing these Peach  crumb bars all over the Internet (August is National Peach Month) and my interest was piqued. Surely, there must be something good abut them if so many bloggers have written about it. I also had three luscious peaches sitting in my fruit basket along with some plump cherries. I gathered my supplies and baked these gorgeous bars which are tart and sweet and so good when warm I must have eaten three pieces straight from the pan (maybe more, my mind is blank).



I halved the original recipe and made them in a smaller pan because it's only the two of us. You can make the original recipe with any fruit like blackberries, raspberries etc.


Recipe Source - Adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients
For The Biscuit base
1 1/2 C All Purpose Flour
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
A Pinch of Salt
1 Tsp Lemon Zest
8 Tbsp (1/2 C/113 Gms) Cold Unsalted Butter
1 Large Egg Yolk

For The Filling
1 Cup Peeled and Chopped Peaches (I got this from 3 peaches)
1 Cup Pitted and Chopped Cherries (About 250 Gms)
2 1/2 Tsp Cornflour (Cornstarch)
1/3 C Sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 175 Degree C or 350 Degree F. Grease a 6X10 baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, add all the filling ingredients and mix gently. Keep aside.
3. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a bowl, stir with a whisk.
4. Add the butter and egg yolk. Cut into the flour using a pastry cutter or folk till you get pea sized crumbles. No loose flour must remain.
5. Press half the dough lightly into the bottom of the baking pan.
6. Add the filling mixture. (If there is too much liquid use a slotted spoon and leave out the liquid.)
7. Crumble the remaining dough on top.
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool Completely before cutting.

P.S - The excess liquid from the filling can be thickened in the microwave or stove top and used as a topping, Yum!

Happy Eating!!

1 comment:

  1. They look fantastic! And I love how generous you were with the filling (and agreed, if bloggers love a recipe, you can be sure that it's good ;) ).

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!