Thursday, June 3, 2010

Aloo Palak


All through my years of growing up (and even when I had grown up all I could) I would carry a lunch box with me for my afternoon meal. First through 10 years of school, then five years of college and even during the three years that I worked before I got married. This lunch box was of course prepared by my darling mother, who would have a harrowing time everyday thinking what to give her picky daughter for lunch. Not that I am very picky when it comes to food, but something about eating cold food in the confines of a classroom was very boring. Moreover, I never had the brains to buy one of those boxes that keep your food warm or microwave my food before eating. My meal would always consist of one roti and one vegetable. I would rarely take rice and some days (the happier ones) would take chicken or mutton. I can actually write down all the vegetable dishes that I used to take as they were repeated on weekly basis (perhaps this has something to do with my aversion to Moong). Anywho, this aloo palak was one of the honored dishes on that rotation and I now bring to you the recipe. It is simple, delicious and reminds me of my mom every time I eat it. Now that I have to make my own lunch everyday I would give anything for the weekly rotation of veggies and roti ;)

Recipe

Ingredients - Serves 2
4 Cups Spinach – Washed and Chopped
1 Medium Potato
4 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
2 Green Chilies (Slit Halfway Vertically)
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Cooking Oil 
Salt  To Taste

Heat the oil in a pot; add the green chilies, garlic and cumin and sauté till the garlic is fragrant. Add the potatoes, salt, turmeric powder, and a little water. Cover and cook on low flame till the potatoes are completely cooked. Add the chopped spinach and cook on medium heat, stirring in ten second intervals. Cook till the raw smell of the spinach goes away and it acquires a dark green colour. Serve hot with roti or as a side with dal and rice.

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!