Monday, January 18, 2010

Spicy Mutton Curry



When my in laws were here I had made this spicy mutton dish that Ammi liked a lot. It does not have too much of gravy but is not very dry either making it a perfect compliment for rice or roti. The lime gives it a nice tanginess and the red pepper powder makes it fiery. I just threw in whatever masalas I had on hand and cooked it in the easiest possible manner. I didn’t expect it to turn out so good and was very happy with the results. All of us enjoyed this with hot rotis.
The best part about this is that there is no grinding of masalas and you don’t need any pre made stuff as well. It is simple enough for new cooks to try but very tasty that it can be served to guests as well.
I had made this again last night and added a bit too much red chili powder (uh oh). Latif kept on eating it and after some time looked up and asked “Are you testing my limit?” (hehehe) “Is it too spicy for you?” I asked (worried look on my face), “No, I like it.” Yay!!

Recipe - An Everybunny Loves Food Original

Ingredients

½ Kg Mutton (medium pieces with bones)
For the Marinade:
4 Tbsp Red Chili Powder (Kashmiri Chili Powder)
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
4 Tbsp Lemon Concentrate
1 Tsp Fennel Seeds Powder
½ Tsp Pepper Powder
Salt To Taste
For The Gravy:
¼ Cup Oil
2 Onions (Large – Peeled And Sliced)
1 Tomatoes (Medium – Sliced)
1 Potato (Large – Boiled And Quartered)
For Garnish:
Coriander Leaves
Mint Leaves

Wash and pat dry the meat. In a large bowl mix all the ingredients for the marinade. Coat the meat evenly in this, cover and keep aside for an hour.
Heat the oil in a pressure cooker (or any big dish), add the sliced onions and fry till golden. Add the tomatoes and cook till they are soft. Add the meat and one cup of water for it to cook. Close the lid with the whistle. Good quality mutton usually cooks in two whistles. You may have to cook it according to the meat and the quantity used. Once the meat is cooked, open the cooker and add the boiled potatoes, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.

Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!