Friday, August 13, 2010

Savory Vermicelli Upma


When I was in college, my mom would sometimes go out of town with my elder sisters for a few days (wedding shopping etc) leaving my dad and me all alone at home. Since I didn’t know how to cook at that time my dad would take the kitchen reigns in his hand and cook some delicious stuff (My dad is a great cook and the only thing he cant make till date are chapattis!) I even think his sambhar is something my mom can never replicate. So yum! It was during one of those times that he made this breakfast for us and it was so good that it quickly became a staple in our house and has continued in my house as well. I hate eating anything sweet for breakfast and this savory upma is perfect with a cup of hot tea.

Recipe - An original from Everybunny Loves Food

Ingredients - Serves 2 - 3

1 Cup Dry Uncooked Vermicelli*
2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
1 Cup Onion (Chopped)
3 Green Chilies (Slit Halfway Vertically)
1/2 Cup Potatoes (Thinly Sliced)
1/2 Cup Tomatoes (Thinly Sliced)
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
1/2 Tsp Coriander Seeds Powder (Dhanya)
1 Maggi Chicken Stock Cube (Optional)
Salt To Taste
2 Cups Water For Cooking

Note on Vermicelli – If the vermicelli is roasted (see this on the packet), skip step one.


  1. Place a medium sized heave bottomed pot on medium flame and slowly roast the vermicelli, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Once the vermicelli has turned a nice golden brown colour remove to a plate and keep aside.

  2. In the same pot, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the onions, green chilies and potatoes and sauté till the onions are translucent.

  3. Add the tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Mix well and cook till the tomatoes are soft.

  4. Pour in two cups water and the chicken stock cube. Add salt to taste. Taste and adjust the salt accordingly (The chicken cube has plenty of salt so add salt carefully). Bring the water to a boil and add the roasted vermicelli. Let it cook and once it comes to a boil lower the heat and cover the pot. The upma is done once all the water is absorbed. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Happy Eating!!

1 comment:

  1. That is sooooooooooooooooo great looking dear, loving them :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!