Sunday, August 29, 2010

Say Hello to the Zucchini - Zucchini Rice



So, one day we are all having lunch in the office and the talk turns to food (as usual) and someone starts talking about zucchinis and I casually remark that I have never cooked it. Everyone stares at me like I have grown two heads or something. Never? They ask. Never. I go to the grocery the same day and pick out a shiny green zucchini and bring it home. After all I had decided to tackle new vegetables, and after the Pumpkin it was this vegetable.


Hello Zucchini!!

Since I had never cooked it before I had no idea what to do with it. But the internet quickly rescued me and I got the right recipe for a nice meal. This rice is very flavorful and good for children who are picky about veggies. The zucchini is grated and added to the rice so that you cannot really taste it but you know that you are eating it. We had this with paneer bhurji and raita which made for a tasty and complete meal.

Recipe Source - Manjula's Kitchen

Ingredients
1 Cup Rice
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Zucchini (Shredded With Skin)
1/2 Cup Onion (Sliced Thinly)
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Tsp Butter
1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seed (Rai)
2 Bay Leaves (Tejpat)
Salt To Taste
1 Inch Piece Cinnamon (Dalchini)
1 Tsp Lemon Juice

1. Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. When the oil is ready, Add the cumin and mustard seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Stir for 30 seconds and add the onions. Saute them till they turn soft and transparent.
3. Stir in the rice and fry for about 2 minutes till toasted.
3. Add water, zucchini, salt and lemon juice. Stir and taste the water to check the salt. Adjust if needed. Stir and bring to boil.
4. After the rice comes to a boil turn the heat down to low and cover the pan. Cook rice for about fifteen minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated.

Happy Eating!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! My eyes bugged out when I read you'd never had zucchini, it's one of my favorite things ever! Sauteed zucchini... better than candy IMO! haha.
    That recipe looks awesome. You'll have to experiment more with zucchini!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!