Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting And A Chocolate Cupcake


I am not a frosting person and mostly prefer to eat cakes on their own to enjoy their flavour. But I have noticed on many blogs that I follow that in the U.S cakes are rarely ever eaten without icing and those without it are referred to as coffee cakes. Hmm… However, when I started making cupcakes I also started trying out new frosting recipes and this is hands down one of my favorite frostings. So simple and yet so delicious. My brothers’ friends had come to our place one weekend and I grabbed the chance to bake something new. Since everyone out there loves chocolate I decided to try two chocolate cupcake recipes. The Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with PB frosting were awesome but these were the favorites hands down. I halved the original recipe as I didn't want 32 cupcakes sitting around to tempt me and made half the batch in my microwave convection and the other half in my gas oven to save time. After comparing the two, never again will I bake in the microwave as it gives a weird texture to the top of the cupcakes. The ones in the oven were smooth and moist all over.
I made the cupcakes and the frosting at night and kept the frosting in the fridge. The next day I just filled the cream into a piping bag and frosted the cupcakes. This starts melting due to body heat so avoid squeezing the entire piping bag with your palms (I didn’t do this but someone else did!)

Recipe Source – Given below as from Annie's Eats (My notes in red)

Ingredients – Makes 16 Cupcakes

For The Cupcakes
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder - Used Natural Unsweetened Cocoa
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Cup Hot Water
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 + 1/8 Tsp Coarse Salt
3/4 Cups (1 1/2 Sticks/150 Gms ) Unsalted Butter
1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Large Eggs, At Room Temperature
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract - Used Vanilla Essence
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (At Room Temperature) - Used Regular Yogurt 
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 Degree F (180 Degree C). Line standard cupcake pans with paper liners.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  4. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and the sugar over medium heat. Heat, stirring occasionally to combine, until the butter is melted. Remove the mixture from the heat and transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-low speed, 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is cooled. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed and beating well after each addition.
  5. Mix in the vanilla and then the cocoa mixture and beat until incorporated.
  6. With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, beating just until combined.
  7. Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ of the way full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For The Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting (Adapted from Annies Eats)
200 Gms Semi sweet Baking Chocolate (Chopped)
1 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream (Chilled)
2 Tbsp Confectioners' Sugar

Place the chocolate in a small microwave proof glass bowl. Melt in the microwave stirring between 15 – 30 second intervals. (Alternatively melt in a double boiler on the stove). Keep aside to cool completely. Place the cream and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip on high till stiff peaks are formed (For best results, place the bowl and whisk in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes). Gently fold in the melted chocolate till combined. Chill in the fridge till ready to frost.

Happy Eating!!

2 comments:

  1. Sana, that looks simply mouth watering. I may come to your place to have one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Priya! You are welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!