Eating Chili Cheese Toast is like killing two birds with one stone. You get something filling that is healthy and tasty as well. I ate this for the first time at my best friends house way back when I was in school. The same day I went home and made it for my mom. We all loved it and I have been making this ever since for everyone I know! It is very easy to make and can be had for breakfast, brunch or an evening snack. It requires a little bit of prep work but the cooking time is very quick. This is a great way of using any bread that is being ignored in the bread basket or the fridge. If you have kids at home who don't eat veggies you can sneak in a few more veggies like grated carrots or pureed beans and peas (pre-cooked of course!). They wont know the difference and you will be much happier!
Ingredients - Serves 2
4 Slices Wholewheat Bread (White or Brown will also do)
4 Tsp Salted Butter
4 Tbsp Chili, Mint and Coriander Chutney*
1 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
1 Cup Finely Chopped Tomatoes
2 Cups Grated Cheese (Mozzarella or cheddar)
Ketchup For Serving
1. Preheat oven to 180 Degrees C.
2. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet covered with foil.
3. Apply 1 tsp butter on each slice followed by 1 Tbsp chutney. (You can apply more or less depending on your tolerance to heat).
4. Sprinkle a little cheese on top, followed by the onion and and tomatoes.
5. Finish by adding cheese and covering the top completely.
6. Place in oven and bake for 10 - 15 minutes till the cheese has melted and the bread is toasted. Serve hot with ketchup.
*Note - To make the chutney, simply grind together mint leaves, coriander leaves and green chilies with a little water and salt. Quantities are to be adjusted according to personal taste.
Tip - If you do not have an oven, make this in a sandwich maker or frying pan. Butter the outside of the bread and place it on the heated pan (buttered side down). Apply all the toppings on the other side, cover and cook on a low flame till the bread is crispy and the cheese has melted.